What Relief Options Are Available For Unaccompanied Minors?

Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC) leave their country of origin for multiple reasons such as:

  • Rejoin family members already in the U.S.
  • Escape abusive family relationships.
  • Escape gangs and violence.

On March 1, 2003, the Homeland Security Act of 2002, Section 462, transferred function under U.S. immigration laws regarding the care and placement of UAC from the Commissioner of the INS to the Director of the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR).

UAC – Unaccompanied Alien Children. After the arrival in the U.S., the child is identified and undergoes initial health screening and immigration processing to initiate removal proceedings. The child may be transferred to a short-term, multi-agency center where HHS provides a medical check, immunizations and shelter assignment. The child then is then transferred to a HHS shelter assignment. The child remains in the HHS shelter until a sponsor is identified on a case-by-case basis. The child is placed with a relative or other sponsor in the U.S., pending the outcome of the immigration process.

SIJS – Special Immigrant Juvenile Status. The purpose of the program is to help foreign children in the U.S. who have been abused, abandoned or neglected. You may qualify for SIJS if:
– You are under 21 years old on the filing date.
– You have a state court order that declared that you are a dependent of the court that is in effect on the filing date.
– You are not married.
– You must be in the U.S. at the time of filing.

CAM – Central American Minors Program. The Central American Minors (CAM) Refugee/Parole Program provides certain qualified children in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras a safe, legal, and orderly alternative to the dangerous journey that some children are currently undertaking to the United States.

Who Qualifies For Children?

The qualifying child in El Salvador, Guatemala or Honduras must be:
– The child (e.g., biological, step or legally adopted) of the qualifying parent
– Unmarried
– Under the age of 21
– A national of El Salvador, Guatemala, or Honduras
– Residing in his or her country of nationality

How Parents Qualify For The Program

The qualifying parent may be any individual who is at least 18 years old and lawfully present in the United States in one of the following categories:
– Permanent resident status
– Temporary protected status
– Parolee
– Deferred action
– Deferred enforced departure
– Withholding of removal

Experienced Legal Guidance

Contact the attorneys at Hernandez & Associates, P.C., for help with your immigration issues. Our Colorado lawyers work on relief for unaccompanied minors. We have been assisting immigrants since 2007. Call our Denver office at 303-536-5134, or email us online to reach us.

The materials available at this website are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this website or any of the email links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Hernandez & Associates and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.