Using VAWA And Other Options To Protect Immigrants

At Hernandez & Associates, P.C., our passion lies in upholding the rights of immigrants in the United States. In certain circumstances, you might find yourself the victim of a crime or otherwise entangled with the law. Our immigration law attorneys can not only defend you from the often unfair criminal justice system but also explore your options for a visa. Through the Violence Against Women Act, U visas, asylum and other methods, we can keep you safe and help you stay in the country.


For Clients Qualifying For VAWA, U-Visas And Other Self-Petitions

You may succeed at a self-petition for asylum or an appropriate visa under certain circumstances in Colorado. Our Denver immigration lawyers advise and assist people from other countries seeking legal status in the U.S. through:

  • The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA): VAWA can provide you safety and independence to pursue your own immigration status without participation by the U.S. abuser.
    You may be eligible to file for VAWA if:
    • The abuser is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
    • You have suffered battery/extreme cruelty by the U.S. citizen or permanent resident abuser
    • You have resided with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident abuser
    • You are a person of good moral character
  • U visas: You may qualify if:
    • You are the victim of a qualifying criminal activity such as domestic violence, extortion, felonious assault, kidnapping, murder, perjury, prostitution, rape, sexual assault, and trafficking You have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of criminal activity
    • You have information about the criminal activity
    • You were helpful, are helpful, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime
    • The crime occurred in the U.S.
  • T visas: You may qualify for a T visa if you have been victimized by human trafficking and agree to assist police or other government agencies in prosecuting the human traffickers by testifying in court or helping in the investigation.
  • S visas: You may qualify for an S visa in order to help U.S. law enforcement investigate or prosecute crimes or terrorist activities by testifying in court or helping in the investigation.
  • Asylum: You may qualify for asylum if you are a member of a group (such as an ethnic group or a social group) that has been targeted for persecution in your home country.

You may be wondering whether it is necessary to have a lawyer. It absolutely is. Having an attorney can make the difference between securing a visa or facing criminal charges or removal. Our immigration attorneys know the law inside and out, including the pathways toward permanent residency. They know how to stand up to the authorities if someone is not honoring your rights. They can advise you on what to do next and make the paperwork process as fast as possible.

Experienced Immigration Attorneys Can Help You

For information and help with any self-petition, contact Hernandez & Associates, P.C., at or use our online contact form. Our Denver Violence Against Women Act lawyer can speak with you about your circumstances. HABLAMOS ESPAÑOL.

Practice Areas